Volunteers are central to enabling ALM to undertake all aspects of its work. There are over 130 volunteers working at the St Anne’s Centre. Volunteers may be
- young or old
- they may be established members of the UK community
- they may be asylum seekers or refugees
March 2017 – We are particularly short of volunteers:
- who can fix and mend: electrics, plumbing and general maintenance
- who can to assist Sr Ruth with the clothes and take on responsibility of running the clothes store 1 or 2 days per week
- who can assist with the upper reception area, answering and directing calls, assisting with copying/faxing and other documents, and to monitor and assist with the post service for the destitute group.
- who can assist and participate with the running of football sessions with EiTC and LCFA
- who can monitor and update or website and Facebook pages
It is frequently the case, that the more popular volunteering roles such as caseworker or ESOL teacher, are over-subscribed and people can wait a long time before these become available.
Volunteers work in a variety of ways including:
- basic case work on a variety of social issues (but not immigration unless training undertaken);
- general office work; computer data input
- welcoming on the reception desk; answering the telephone; assisting with post
- making tea and coffee, lunches, and preparing meals in the kitchen;
- working in the clothes area assisting with sorting and sales;
- gardening and working on the allotment;
- organising events; fund raising;
- teaching English or helping a teacher
- and a multitude of other jobs!
Some of the volunteer roles need a regular commitment each week, often one day a week but times can vary depending on the volunteer role. Others are less regular; ie helping with Refugee Week
All volunteers receive induction training and ongoing support with further training opportunities offered as needed for different roles. All volunteers can claim expenses for travel to Asylum Link.
Look at our services page to see where you could fit in. Whatever you have to offer will be appreciated.
Please contact Sarah Jope, Deputy Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org